10 secrets to make your visit to Bettys even better
From tea top-ups to the best seat in the house: we asked the real Bettys experts – the people who have been coming to our Café Tea Rooms for years – to share their insider knowledge and tips.
1. We may be famous for our Fat Rascals and Fondant Fancies but each true Bettys connoisseur has their own special favourites.
“We’ve had a routine for our Bettys days out since 1971. Cinnamon toast and house blend coffee with hot milk at Stonegate in the morning, followed by lunch at St Helen's Square. I always have poached eggs on muffins, with a little hollandaise and – most importantly of all – a glass or two of the incomparable Gewürztraminer.” – Mel
“Every single time and most recently last month... Yorkshire Rarebit, bacon extra crispy.” – David
2. If you’re enjoying a cup of our tea, why not enjoy one more?
3. There’s no better start than a Bettys breakfast… which we serve all day.
“It has to be the best full English in Yorkshire, with the added bonus of toast from home baked bread.”– Nigel
“Birthday breakfast. Invariably cinnamon toast and then the breakfast rösti, and coffee or a special blend tea.” – Diana
4. Our Afternoon Teas make special occasions into memories to treasure.
“You can't go wrong with an afternoon tea, a glass of fizz and good friends. I had my ‘sophisticated’ hen do at your Harrogate branch and would recommend this to anyone.” – Emma
“For my birthday two years ago my partner surprised me with a two night stay in Harrogate and he had booked a luxury Lady Betty Afternoon Tea in the Imperial Room. It was amazing, absolutely stunning!” – Alison
5. We ensure that every seat at Bettys is a good one, but a spot by the window makes a lot of our visitors extra-happy.
“The best tables in the house at Bettys York are the ones that look right out on to the city centre. If you can snap up a table like that around dusk in both summer and winter, it's absolutely lovely to watch the sun set over the city.” – Anthea
6. Bettys York and Harrogate are our most popular Café Tea Rooms, but there are ways to beat the queues.
“Go a bit later in the afternoon. We were a party of nine in York for a great cousin's reunion. They were able to seat us after a couple of minutes’ wait.” – Janet
7. Or visit one of our more ‘hidden gems’ nearby such as Bettys Stonegate or Harlow Carr.
“Delicious food and stunning views at the Bettys café at RHS Harlow Carr. Plus there's plenty to buy and take away if you fancy a picnic in the gardens.”– Melissa
8. As autumn approaches, for some of our fans it’s their favourite Bettys season of all.
“The best time to go to Bettys York is on a dark, cold evening with the pianist playing, particularly if it's Christmas because they play seasonal music.” – Carolanne
9. Not enough time to browse our shops after your visit? That doesn’t mean missing out on treats to take home.
“If you want to take away some goodies you can pre-order by phone and collect. Or even pre-order, pay and pick up quickly the next morning on the way home. Wonderful service.” – Rosemary
10. And to guarantee you really make the most of your visit to Bettys…
“All of the above, plus I usually tell my friends to make sure they use the Bettys customer toilets. They are always so clean, and beautifully decorated. They are all lovely; however my favourites have to be the Harrogate ones.” – Sandra