Spooky bell peppers with sticky chicken
A fun and easy-to-make savoury snack that's ideal for Halloween parties.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 x skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 Braeburn apple finely grated
- 1 pear finely grated
- 6 bell peppers (yellow if possible)
- 150g cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in an oven proof dish.
- Pre heat an oven to 130˚C.
- In a small bowl mix together the crushed garlic, honey, black treacle, Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup and brown sugar.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and carefully stir through.
- Pour the mix over the chicken and ensure it is all well coated.
- Cover the dish with a lid or foil and bake in the oven for 1½ - 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred using two forks until stringy.
- Add the grated apple and pear to the sauce and stir through.
- Return the chicken to the sauce and stir through to coat evenly.
- Take each pepper and cut a 1cm thick slice of the stalk end and keep to one side while scooping out the seeds and membrane from inside each pepper.
- With a small sharp knife create a mini pumpkin effect by cutting out 1cm triangles for the eyes and nose. Cut out a smile on the face for full effect.
- Place the stringy chicken into each of the peppers and top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Replace the pepper tops and press firmly to secure.
- Increase the oven temperature to 180˚C and bake the peppers for 20 minutes or until piping hot.
- If preparing the peppers in advance, ensure that when baking to allow an extra 15 minutes to heat through sufficiently.